Summer Youth Program 2011
TheRail and Intermodal Transportation Summer Youth Program 2011 was held July 18-22 on the campus of Michigan Technological University. This program was a weeklong investigation designed to create awareness and stimulate interest in the area of rail and intermodal transportation. The program was a collaborative effort by Michigan Tech’s Rail Transportation Program and the Transportation and Logistics Management Program at University of Wisconsin—Superior.
Some of the topics and activities for this year included:
• Learn about and ride trains—the “green transportation alternative”—and see the massive
locomotives in action.
• Technical tours to rail and intermodal facilities in Marquette and Duluth.
• Find out why trucks, ships, and trains are so important to today’s economy.
• Work in teams to complete group projects.
• Experience college life—stay in a residence hall, explore campus, and meet others with similar
backgrounds and interests.
• Enjoy tons of outdoor activities in Michigan’s beautiful Keweenaw Peninsula.
For more information on the event, please contact Pasi Lautala (email@example.com).
Pasi Lautala, Ph.D., P.E.
Director, Rail Transportation Program
Research Assistant Professor
Michigan Tech Transportation Institute